Monday, April 26, 2010

Black Beauty - A Moral Lesson for All Ages

I really enjoyed how this novel could teach two different lessons for two different types of readers. As a child, it furthered my passion and love of animals, especially the horses I had the privilege of being around every day. Kids also learn good ethics about good and bad in addition to moral behavior through Black Beauty’s disposition. Now reading it as an adult, readers are able to put the complexities of the world aside and really consider human treatment towards horse s and any other animals.



These two points really come into play during the final two parts of the novel. While being whipped to pull an overloaded cart up a steep hill Beauty exclaims that “to be punished and abused when I was doing my very best was so hard, it took the heart out of me” (198). When the lady asks the driver to loosen the bearing rein and explain that fashion is not worth harming an animal, adults are persuaded to feel the sympathy that they probably consistently showed as children; the same sympathy that children show when they read this novel today. Another example is Mr. Skinners comments on Beauty after he has fallen from exhaustion. He sadly explains that “I have no meadows to nurse sick horses in – he might get well or he might not; that sort of thing don’t suit my business. My plan is to work ‘em as long as they’ll go and then sell em for what they’ll fetch” (204). Surely this unethical statement would pull at the heart strings of readers at any age.



Beauty’s respectable morals also teach young children a great lesson in how far a good character can get you in life. After all the suffering Beauty experienced during his lifetime, his final words are “ My troubles are all over, and I am at home” (213). These comments give the feeling of success by reaching the desired destination – home. It teaches readers that if you give life 100% you will reach your goals and dreams as long as you never give up on yourself. If this novel did not appeal to the different ages, then why are there so many additions in print with so many different covers? To appeal to all readers.

2 comments:

  1. Oh My God! You save my final thesis. This is exactly what I need right now. This is enlightenment. Thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post ! it was very informative. I look forward in reading more of your work. Also, I made sure to bookmark your website so I can come back later. I enjoyed every moment of reading it.Read more Kim kardashian sex tape and Mia Khalifa Sex video and Sunny Leone Sexy Movie

    ReplyDelete